South Africa - to move there, or not?

After signing the final divorce papers in 2008, I barely had time to get to San Francisco International airport for my flight to CapeTown, South Africa.  I wanted to check it out as a possible place to emigrate and start a new life.

My friend Johan Martin and his nephew met me at the airport.  We attended the International Jazz Festival, staying with friends of Johan's sister in a nearby township.  Then I picked up a rental car and Johan drove with me to Stellenbosch where I had decided to rent an efficiency ("self-catering") apartment for 10 days while I explored the wine country.  All the way to Hermanus and back!

There's lots more detail about that to come, including a trip to Paarl to stay with an old Keck & Co contact who still sold food processing equipment made in the USA to local food processors.

I explored CapeTown and environs with a realtor, thinking about the possibilities.

I ended the trip at the Martin's house in Johannesburg, and returned to the USA with an "I'm not leaving" decision.   s